Sunday, July 18, 2010

BlogNetNews is Kaput

BlogNetNews.com went down early last week, taking its state ranking system with it. I had hoped there were just some technical problems, but I heard through the face book grapevine owner David Mastio shut the domain down, presumably for good, because of dwindling advertising sales.

I did not think I would much care, but I found myself a bit melancholy there were no new weekly rankings coming late Saturday night as there normally would be from the site. That is a cruel thing to yank away from a statistics junkie after offering him a regular hit for well over a year.

Admittedly, the eye was not a very good fit. BlogNetNews was designed to measure the popularity of political blogs in any given state. Generally speaking, said blogs should have emphasized the state’s internal political happenings. I have never maintained the Eye as a South Carolina specific blogs and as I have frequently drifted out of politics towards science fiction and celebrity photos, I really ticked off fellow bloggers by routinely ranking within the top twenty blogs.

In fact, I have been as high as number two I the state, while I most frequently hovered I the eight to fifteen area. Regardless of where I ranked, it was fun to follow the week to week trend. I am going to miss it. When and if someone buys the set up and cranks it back up again, I know it will ever be the same.