Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Further Adventures of Your Intrepid Television Reviewer

You have no doubt noticed we are fast approaching the end of the DS9 reviews. I will cover the series finale on Sunday, which means we will be heading iota new series starting Monday. I was going to wait until August1st, but that falls on a Sunday. It does not seem right to start a new project on the slowest readership days of the week. I figured I should go ahead and reveal te plan now so everyone can have a few days to vent their feelings about what is coming next.

I have drawn the conclusion I inevitably thought I would as Ds9 wound down--the series took Trek about as far as it could go. Neither VOY, nor ENT could break any new ground. In fact, they did not even try. They were both awful, from VOY relying on Jeri Ryan’s cat suit for ratings to Brannon Braga admitting right off the bat there was no grand plan for ENT even though they had introduced an overall story arc. Sorry, but I cannot bring myself to spend the next nine months slogging through that stuff.

At least not right now. Later, perhaps, which is why I am going to compromise. I have already had comments expressing irritation I might skip VOY even though I promised poison pen reviews at best, so here is what I am going to do.

Starting Monday, I am going to cover an old non-Trek series. It lasted four seasons I its original run, so there is a smidgeon over one hundred episodes to cover. That should take up until late October or early November. After the break from Trek, I will probably be more inclined to tackle VOY.

Those of you who want to see VOY reviews are going to be happier with them After I have had a break from Trek as opposed to starting them now even with the wait. Although I have to reiterate--be careful what you wish for. I will eviscerate much of VOY when the time comes.

Now for the news you are really going to hate me for--I am going to review The Wild Wild West for the next three moths. It is a childhood favorite for which I have noticed there is very little online content, but does still seem to have favorable reactions from many folks. I am looking forward to digging into the complete series DVD set.

If you have not seen the show, take heart. It is James Bond in the old west, but nothing like the awful 1999 Will Smith movie. The show hasa fun, adventurous tone much like TOS, of which it was contemporary. In fact: the two shows are heavily connected by : creators and actors: Stick with me. You will like it.