Thursday, July 29, 2010

Formspring Question # 34--Alas, Babylon Edition

So you're a Babylon 5 fan? You should cover that series. What do you think about the third season cliffhanger? It is my favorite moment of the series
I have all five seasons of Babylon 5, but it is too much like Deep Space Nine for me to start up with anytime soon. I did like the series a lot, but I am not enthusiastic about watching it again.

As for the ending of “Z’Ha’Dum“--worth a thousand words:I was not as jaded when I first saw this back in 1996 as I am today, so I was shocked. You cannot tell from the YouTube clip, but John Sheridan, the hero of the story, sneaked a nuclear warhead into the capital city of the Shadows in a decapitation strike. It was essentially a terrorist act, even though it was clear the summit the Shadows invited him there for obviously had no peaceful intentions.

J. Michael Straczynski caused a stir when he told fans that in Sheridan’s position, he would have done the same thing. That is, kill a million innocent people along with the guilty leadership in order to stop a war that will kill billions.

I was one of those taken aback by both Sheridan’s act, because my naïve view of heroes would not allow such a thing, and JMS’ comment, because I still felt shades of gray morality was still black.

These days, it does not affect me emotionally at all. I am not certain if it is because I know more these days or because I have now done more than just take notes I a classroom, but Sheridan’s act seems a lot more reasonable now than then.

It could just be my attitude that pacifists are the enablers of evil. The actual quote from George Orwell replaces ’evil” with “fascists,” but I do not think he went far enough by saying that. Sometimes, you have to have the nerve to do nasty things for the greater good.