Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thoughts on the Television Season So Far

It is pretty sad I can go ahead and write this on Wednesday night, but there is nothing left I pan to check out for the foreseeable future. I may still be firmly in the coveted 18-49 demographic shows are shooting for, but not much of what they are offering amuses me in the slightest.

The only returning show I care to watch is The Big Bang Theory. Perhaps my geekiness explain my general disinterest in current television offerings. I keep saying I will try Frige, but like Heroes, I keep saying that until its cancelled. I watched the first episode of that series--Ali Larter stripping for an online custumer. That did not even make me want to tune in for more.

Speaking of comely lasses, I did not watch Dancing with the Stars, but I have seen promo photos of the dancing teams. All snarking aside about stretching the definition of star to the breaking point, Bristol Palin is a goo looking youg lady. What did she ever see in that creepy redeck Levi Johston?

Out of morbid curioiusity, I flipped between the first act of Two and a Half Men and The Event wondering how the show would play out after Charlie Sheen’s legal troubles and heated salary dispute. It turs out the show still killed in the ratings, which is awful. Right off the bat, there was a joke about statutory rape as the two main characters watched a sixteen year old girl leave the kid, jake’s room. Alan (Jon Cryer) quipped to Charlie something like, “At the risk of having to testify, tell me that she is one of yours.” Stay classy, guys.

They are goig to take what little fun there is left in American Idol out next season. They are no loger goig to have strict theme nights, so you will no longer see some black kid from the Philadelpia slums squirm tryig to warble Dolly Parton’s “Jolene” on Country Night. There will no longer be celebrity mentors, either, so no moreSid Vicious wannabes assuring Rod Stewart he is his bigget fan. Bummer. I like that stuff more than Simon Cowell’s mean spirited remarks.

Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lope as judges does not strike me as an audience grabber, either. A cut above Ellen DeGenres maybe, but not much else. The guy who has to feel most awkward is Randy Jackson. He is the only original judge left. He really ought to hae umped sip, too, just to save face. Staying ehind gives the impression he has no other irons in the fire. To be fair, I do not recall if he is still under contract or had the opportunity to bail, so I will leave it at that. Maybe he is happy there and that is good enough.

Not much else going on, unfortunately.