Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Formspring Question # 45--Absorbing New Phosphor Dots Edition

Will you be covering any new fall season shows?
It does not look like it. The only two new shows I was interested in watching were The Event and Hawaii 5-0. They merit a split decision.

I tuned into The Event to see if it would live up to its hype. The ad campaign looked like it was trying too hard to make the series a big hit. Setting themselves up for failure, I thought. Sure enough, it did not live up to its marketing campaign. The characters were bland, the mystery did not hook me, and the time shifts were too confusing.

I might ’”get it” if I invested some time into it, but I am not going to. The event is being compared to Lost, but it does not measure up. With Lost, I liked the characters right off the bat and was hooked by the overall story arc. No such luck with The Event.

I did enjoy Hawaii 5-0 and will watch it agai next week. But it is good in the same way Burn Notice is good--a lot a fun action, but not much interesting stuff to write about later. I quit reviewing Burn Notice at The Eye even though I have yet to miss an episode. The show does not make for interesting blogging. You may recall 24 reviews were canned for the same reason.

Maye if one or the other picks up the pace. Something tells me The Event will be a one season wonder anyway.