Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Formspring Question # 40--Wild Wild Pest Edition

Why are you reviewing The Wild Wild West? You should have stuck with Star Trek. That’s what we come here to see.
I explained my reasons earlier. I am burnt out on Trek and wanted to covera more light hearted show before tackling VOY--assuming I do, of course.

I chose Wild Wild West for a couple reasons. More importantly, because I loved it as a kid, but also because I could not find any place online were someone had done an episode by episode review. Becoming the internet source of the series sounded good to me. Perhaps I overestimated the interest people would have in the show. Lack of interest appears to be the most obvious reason for the scarcity of related material on the web.

No matter. It is my blog and I am having a good time with it, so there. If you had not noticed, the show is full of very old fashioned heroics in which the good guys and bad are clearly defined, the violence is cartoon level, and the main characters are patriots. You do not see stuff like that these days. Savor it. Nuanced “sophistication” does not necessarily make today’s television offerings better.

Besides, I like Robert Conrad. He is an ardent Republican who addressed the 2004 GOP convention, big supporter of law enforcement (he was once a sheriff himself))) and the troops, as well as a big NRA activist. By all accounts, he is a decent guy, too. I like to know favorite actors are probably folks I would like personally, too. I have to support them, you know?