Friday, May 28, 2010

Gary Coleman (1968-2010)

Gary Coleman has passed away in a Provo, Utah hospital after a fall caused a severe ntercranial hemorrhage.

I am like everyone else my age. I watched Diff’rent Strokes, The Kid with the Broken Halo, and The Kid with the 200 IQ, and pretty much any other television movie or sitcom that called for a precious kid. Just to show I had poor taste in television growing up, I even remember Coleman as “The Cosmic Whiz Kid” in an episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Coleman had a pretty rough life. He was born with kidney disease which required frequent dialysis and eventually two transplants. He was cheated out of and had to sue his parents for millions in royalties from his acting career, which for over a decade now has consisted of mocking himself. Now is not the time to elaborate o his personal legal troubles in recent years.

He came in eighth place in the 2003 California recall election for governor when he was not even running. There is an accomplishment, no?

Something tells me his death is going to become a laugh line for comedians over the next few days, so I will lay off. I will give him credit for providing quite a bit of entertainment for me over the years.

Godspeed, Mr. Coleman.