Thursday, February 12, 2004

Raising the Bar



I was still awake at 3:00 AM last night talking to Pete and one of his classmates. If Pete hadn't hinted he needed to go to bed, our guest wouldn't have left until daylight. You've got to love MPA students. They don'tseem to have a care in the world. Do they even go to class? This fellow has caught the lawschool bug, but I've gotten the distinct impression it is more out of a fear of the real world than any true desire to practice law.



Speaking of which, I have discoveredseveral other classmates who ae opting to take public service jobs and forgo the bar altogether. This is cannot figure out to save my soul. Maybe they do feel a calling elsewhere, but at leasst take the bar. If for no other reason you can draft an estae plan or contract every now and then to supplement your income. There is no way I would have gone through all of this ordeal and not practice law. i can't fathom why someone would.



It is true that a good many of my classmates have been attracted to the Common Good. That's an attempt to create a political party/interest good that is less conservative than the Christian Coalition. I've only had brief encounters with the group, but i sense its lack of focus. The group's leaders are too idealistic about how an interest group should work. They espouse positive message, but they are not willing to take some of the necessary steps to make it in the political arena. They need a Ralph Reed, but they discourage anyone who might step into that role. I'm not optimistic about this group. I'll have to stick my allegiance with the GOP.



Actually, I really just think I'm disappointed by classmates I like chasing rainbows. It's selfish, I know, to worry about how these strange idealistic crusades reflect on Regent and my degree, but I do. Maybe i'm being cynical again about who does and does not have the juice to be lawyers. That's weighed on my mind as classmates opt out almost daily.



I have to prepare double for a make up Federal Courts class in the morning. I've got a feeling i'm going to be called on.