Monday, February 16, 2004

No Comfort Zone



It has snowed yet again. Rather than sound like a broken record, I'll refrain from waxing bitter on how much I dislike Virginia weather. The good thing is that the snow canceled classes this morning. That meant no Federal Courts today, but it also means there will be a make up class at some point. Just like last Friday, it will probably mean two hours early some morning. You just can’t look forward to that.



My meeting with the higher up editors wasn’t canceled, however. My “comfort women” article is pretty clean, but they would like for me to redraft a paragraphs to increase the flow of the piece. I have until Monday in order to fix everything, so that probably means my weekend will be largely shot. Knowing me, virtually every sentence will get a makeover. But like I said last post, whatever it takes to publish, that’s what i’m going to do.



I sent off a check to the BARBRI bar review program today. The expense of studying law never seems to end, whether it’s financially, emotionally, or physically.



I did have more free time today than I normally do, I read some of Thomas L. Friedman’s Longitudes and Attitudes. It’s a collection of his columns for the New York Times spanning September 11, 2001 to Operation: Iraqi Freedom. Friedman specializes in writing about the Middle East, and this book is a fascinating look at the turbulent region in this turbulent time. Reading it renews twinges of international law and relations. Too bad I’m going to wind up some ambulance chaser in the middle of South Carolina instead.



Reading did prompt me to sort through some old files on my laptop to find the research I’d done on reforming the United Nations Security Council. I never did get to write that article, and from looking back, I think it’s good that I didn’t. I think one of my best suggestions was booting France off the Security Council and replacing it with India, Japan, or Brazil. It seem that I might have been riding the “Freedom Fries” wave just a little too enthusiastically. That does not a legal scholar make, no?