Sunday, February 29, 2004

Oscar Wrap Up



No surprises here. Return of the King was a shoo in to sweep. I am disappinted that Sofia Coppola didn't wi Best Director, though. Lost in Translation was a fantastic film and I assume her family name would carry her further than it did. The Academy likes dynasties, after all. At leasr she won for Best Original Screenplay In many ways, that is even more important than Best Director. Most screenplays are written by committee, which explains why movies are the way they are nowadays. But Translation was her baby all the way. She had to stare at a blank page all alone and make the story come alive. As one who has an interest in creative writing (classier than John Grisham's, thenkyew very much.) I admire that



I wish Seabiscuit had faired better. I loved that movie. Continuing on a theme, the author of the book suffers from chronic fatiguesyndrome, yet still founf the energy to write it. She's one who thinks writing is a calling, not a job. I have to admire that, as well.



All right. Return of the King I'll admit it--the line, "I can't carry the ring, but I can carry you." choked me up. Itwas a great movie and deserved the accolades it received. But what i am waiting for is Peter Jackson's next film. It's a remake of one of my all time favorite films: King Kong Out of all the film makers out there, I think Peter Jackson is the only one who can pull off the epic that the Eighth Wonder of the World should be.



Finally--and humorously--did you see Bill Murray's face when he lost to Sean "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" Penn? It was priceless. I'd be ticked off if I lost to Mr. Weapons Inspector, too.