Sunday, February 15, 2004

Intolerable Cruelty



I vegged out this afternoon and watched Intolerable Cruelty. It's a pretty forgettable movie, but there were a few laugh out loud moments, especialy Billy Bob Thornton. It's too bad his role was so small. He plays a fantastic Southern caricature whenever he is allowed to go wild with it. Clooney was trying a little too hard to play the smarmy divortrce lawyer, and Zeta-Jones just didn't come across as the golddigger her character was supposed to be. Maybe id the plot had been fleshed out more, the movie would have been more enjoyable. I expect better from the guys who gave us Raising Arizona.



Tomorrow, I have a meeting with the higher up editors regarding the changes that need to be made in order to finalize my article for publication. What do you want to bet I have to butcher it? Actually, at this point I couldn't care less about anysense of creative integrity. if they ask me to put Henny Youngman one liners in, I'd do it just to get the thing published. I do not look forward to any major overhauls of the article.



I read my Federal Courts assignment earlier today. It was a Supreme Court case regarding state sovereigm immunity. As i was trudging through, it dawned on me (not for the first time, mind you) that I am going to spend a large chunk of my life handling thr three D's-dog bites, divorces, and DUIs. Doesn't it seem odd to be studying something as high concept as sovereign immunity at this point? Am I losing perspective here in the waning days of my studies? i wonder if I am also losing myself in a maelstrom of cynicism.