Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Leonard Nimoy to Retire

This is definitely the end of an era. Leonard Nimoy recently told the Toronto Sun he is done with acting.His version of Spock will not appear I the next J. J. Abrams Star Trek because he wants to give Zachary Quinto the spotlight on the role. His stint on Abrams’ Fringe has also ended, so Nimoy feels it is time to get off the stage.

I do not blame him. Nimoy is 79 years old with limited options for roles he can play. Seeing such a dignified actor reduced to playing someone’s goofy grandfather would be as sad as it was watching The Who try to rock at the Super Bowl back in February. All I wanted was for someone to take Roger Daltry home and put him to bed. I do not want to see Nimoy reduced to that, too.

Nimoy has left behind a long career full of roles I enjoyed. Spock is my favorite, of course, but I am a fan of the original Mission Impossible on which he played Paris, and I have a peculiar fascination with In Search Of. I even recall fondly his turn as the voice of Unicron in Transformers: The Movie.

Looking back, I am surprised what a big part of my geek experience he has been. I hope he enjoys retirement.