Thursday, October 7, 2010

Take iI to the Limit

If you have not been able to tell by my writings, I am an anal, somewhat obsessive compulsive sort. I have a particular acute problem when it comes to numbers. Keeping a budget arriving at a place at a certain time, cooking a certain amount of food-- I obsess over getting these things right even when I am safely rolling along with each. As far as compulsion go, it is one of the best to suffer since I am at least a reliable guy. Never the less, it can cause some sleepless nights.

Case in point: Tuesday night, as I was posting, I noticed the fine print the blogspot image uploader. There is an overall limit o 1 GB of space for photos on your entire blog. Chalk it up to my poor vision I have never seen that before and dumb luck I happened to find it then. But I have been fretting over it since.

Let me explain a few thins for those not dwelling in the Blogspot ghetto. Since January 1st, 2007, every photo you upload to Blogspot goes into a Picasa account. I was unaware of this until Tuesday. You may point ad laugh if necessary, but I did not realize these images wet into any sort of storage with a finite amount of space. I have been posting images like I will never run out of space. Turns out I will and I have been dwelling n it for days.

I have had the opportunity to stroll through these folders and am kind of appalled by how many I have posted. From January 1st, 2007 to October 4, 2010, I have posted over 4,000 images. Cutting back is a certainty. A blog is a written journal, not eye candy. Beyond celebrity photos and a screencap of the television episode I am reviewing on a certain day, most everything I ad to a pot is extraneous. Generally, images do nothing more than add to the page loading time, so I am going to be more economical about it in the future.

Tat aid, look at the reality. It as taken me four years of blogging to post 4,000 images, but that still only took up 25% of my 1GB limit. I could continue going at my usual pace for another twelve years before reaching the limit. In internet terms that is several centuries of technological change that would most certainly render the problem irrelevant anyway. In real world terms, surely I will have either found something better to do in the interim or will have fallen over dead from a second colon rupture, whichever is more likely.

Even barring that, there are free image hosting sights which can e used with ease. Wordpress, I am told, as 3 GB limit on images, so I can blog for forty-eight years straight at my current pace of image posting beyond the twelve at Blogspot for a gran total of sixty years, if I lived to be 91.

But that is not good enough to soothe my jangled nerves. So for the last early a day and a half, I have gone through all 4,000 an deleted repeats where I changed the size before posting, old banners I no longer use, and any image I have deemed extraneous--usually meaning those on political oriented posts, but some others, too. I now have my storage uage down to 15% from 25%. For no good reason other than to soothe my mind. I figured you might like to have this insight into my psyche.