Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ronald D. Moore Pitching Remake of The Wild Wild West

Interesting timing, considering I have been running through the series for the last two months. Does Ronald D. Moore read the Eye? Can I get a creative consultant credit on the potential series if he does? I would be more than happy to earn my keep by nixing ideas like casting a rapper as James West or making the new Artemus Gordon a woman, because you just know he wants to do that.

Moore's pitch for a new series comes on the heels of the success of the new Hawaii 5-0. So we have another case of jittery Hollywood feeling it necessary to go back to the well instead of trying something new. I cannot knock them too much for it. New stuff has not had legs as of late.

Then again, neither have clones of The Wild Wild West. Steampunk oaters like The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. and Legend have not lasted past a season each. The awful 1999 film has to have left a bad taste in fans' mouths, too. It certainly has mine.

Moore has a good track record, however. I am a big fan of Deep Space Nine and Battlestar Galactica. If the show comes to pass, I will give it a shot. Something tells me this is not going to fly, though. Can you really do a western in today's politically correct climate? Will the coveted 18-49 year old watch it? will stubborn fans forgive the movie enough to try it? I have my doubts.