Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Shackles of Study Begone

My summer semester is finally over. I got an “A” on my Elder Law paper and satisfied my rigorous writing requirement. I haven’t given publication much serious thought, but it can’t hurt to search around a bit and see what law journal is looking for papers on fraudulent estate planning or elder law topics in general. It only costs a few stamps to give it a shot. Tre UCC II exam was Monday night. Exams based on a statutory code are my least favorite law classes. Despite the fact I’m allowed to have the code in front of me, I’m wary of putting in too many statutes, too few statutes, or just going down unnecessary rabbit trails that aren’t going to give me one point of credit. Naturally, doubts have crept into my answers—especially since at the obligatory post exam conference in the hallway, there wasn’t much consensus in what the answers actually were.

I had planned on my first day of freedom to go see Pirates of the Caribbean, but that quickly fell to the wayside in favor of staring at the ceiling and listening to a John Lennon CD. A fine way to pass the time if there ever was one. I wasn’t totally worthless, though. I did manage to get to Ci Ci’s Pizza and challenge their all you can eat buffet claim. Alas, they still had pizza left over when I left. Later, I parked it on a bench in the shade to watch people go by. It reminded me again of why I dislike Virginia so much. Everybody is in such a mad hurry and nobody says, “Hello.” This place sure isn’t South Carolina.

I’ve now got time to spruce up my handwritten journal, which I haven’t touched in a while even though I promised myself I’d keep it up diligently, and pitter-patter around with a few other writing and art projects before going back to the grind studying for the MPRE in August.