Tuesday, July 1, 2003

Now for Our Feature Presentation

This week we have to present our Elder law papers to the class, explaining our thesis, defining the problem we have identified, and then propose our solution. I don't go until tommorrow night, but as a courtesy, I have to sit through every presentation before me. While I am certain I have had more boring experiences in my life, I cannot recall any of them. Every paper topic sounds more coma inducing than the last: estate planning, nursing home malpractice, ederly criminals, elderly drivers, elderly traveling abroad--I think my head hit the desk on that last one, but I'm sure I woke up before anyone noticed. Who can say, with all the snoring that was going on around me.

I did have an intersting discussion with a classmate on last week's Supreme Court decision regarding sodomy. For years, SCOTUS has held that there is a compelling state interest in maintaining the sanctity of marriage, a euphemism for support of heterosexual relations exclusively. With it decision Wednsday, the SCOTUS has now established the right to privacy in place of the sanctity of marriage. The implications of this will be far reaching. This George Will column explains it all better than I could of the top of my head here.