Saturday, January 31, 2004

Christian Lawyering



Every Spring, the entire law school attends an orientation where we hear from practicing attornies who are also Christians. They speak about issues they face rourtinely in the decidedly non-Christian field of practicing law. That is what i had to attend today. It was interesting, however. Usually, the speakers are dry and colorless, but today there was an alumni who spoke of adapting the rules of dealing with disputes in Matthew 18 to a secular setting. Ironically, i blogged about Matthew18 on the 20th, as I recall. He was a humorous fellow, which is most necessary when your specialty is alternative dispute resolution. One has to connect with all parties. I imagine he does that well.



Wegot a free lunch out of it. I would up sitting across from *ahem* She Who Shall Remain Nameless, when he suddenly dawned on me: she just doesn't have the luster that i thought she did. Why did that hit me now? Is it because i am reaching the end of my career as a student? It's interesting, too, that i am not as upset about it as I thought i would be. it's just a conclusion i eached, and that's the end of it. There are so many nicer girls out there. I think handing that concern over to God has worked for me. I knew in my heart of hearts it wouldn't work out, but I'm glad I came to that conclusion peacefully rather than having her stomp all over my feelings, as i know she eventually would have.



Now, for the operative question: what's next?