Thursday, August 21, 2003

Getting Oriented



The Regent Journal of International Law staff (Articles editor, that would be me.) held its annual research library tourfor new members. We have a good crop of applicants this year, so hopefully things won't wind up like last year when two or three people did just about all the work. I haven't yet decided which of the members I am going to request to work on editing articles yet, but I did meet two who had promise.



It is tough to sit three hours of touring computer systems and bookshelves, but at least we all know where the Helsinki Accords are, as well as the apanese War Crime transcripts from the late 1940's--in the orginal Japanese no less. You never know when that might come in handy, no? I restrained my cyncal side, amnd did not tell the the new recruits that regardless of what legislation the United Nations passes or any treaties signed, international law is whatever the United States and Great Britain say it is.



I have to pull the sources and make some changes on my "comfort women" article before it can be published in November. Grr..way too much work for such a short period of time.



I slipped into 1L orientation and ate lunch with them. (Never turn down a free lunch, that's my advice to you.) Almost fifty of last year's 1L class didn't make it to the second year, so boy these ladies and gentlemen don't know what they are in for. I did meet one from Conway, though. Nice to see that we South Carolinians are taking over.