Saturday, October 11, 2003

Kill Bill Review



I tried to sleep, but it isn’t working for me. I’ve got way too much on my mind, so I figured I’ll just sit here in the middle of the night and write a movie review. Fortunately, I happened to see Kill Bill tonight.



I quite liked it. Even though it was only half a movie (volume two will be released in January) all the elements of a good story were there to make it a good film in itself. This is the first Quentin Tarantino movie in six years, and he pulled out all the stops for it. It stars Uma Thurman as an assassin who decides to get out of the business, get married, and settle down. Instead, she is attacked by her former associates on her wedding day. They believe she has been killed; instead, she is in a coma for four years. When she awakens, she has only one thing on her mind—revenge.



As you know, revenge is a dish best served cold, and Uma (known only as the Bride) goes after her prey with cold blooded efficiency. This movie is shockingly violent, yet so cartoonish with the violence, I spent a good bit of time wondering if I should be repulsed. For instance, the Bride kills one of her attackers in front of the attacker’s four year old daughter. I didn’t ponder how they got away with that one long, as long blood spurting fantastically from other victim made me not take things too seriously.



And the blood does spurt. Tarantino used the same method Hong kong movie producers have used for years: condoms filled with fake blood that burst on impact. It’s quite impressive. The snappy dialogue that is a Tarantino trademark is engrossing, but not on par with Pulp Fiction or From Dusk ‘til Dawn. And the music is fantastic. Usually overlaying some really violent or exciting bit of film is some forgotten song that somehow adds a panache to the scene, or even tones it down to an acceptable level. I think Tarantino’s films are scored almost perfectly.



I enjoyed Kill Bill. I eagerly anticipate part two.