Monday, November 10, 2003

Random Busy-ness



Not much time today, so a few random thoughts.



I watched the assigned classmates put on the first civil trial this morning. Those are much tougher to try than criminal cases. There is often no sense of righteousness to tilt you as a juror from one side to the other. Indeed, the fact pattern of this case involved a personal injury settlement in which two companies (a pricipal company and a subconteactor) where force to pay dmages to an injured construction worker for their combined negligence. They both admit to being at fault; the issue was who would pay the bulk of the money. The verdict was a 60/40 split in favor of the subcontractor, but It could have gone either way. I know it was the defense attorney's brilliant argument (Julie, you are going to be one fine trial lawyer) put them over the top for me.



My trial, which is a breach of contract dispute, begins on the 17th.



I spent the afternoon cite checking and editing 25 pages of an international law journal article. The article talks about the promotion of abortion in Third World countries by the West. The author is staunchly pro-life (and I am sympathetic to his cause) but i have had to tone down his fiery rhetoric. It's the largest overhaul I have ever had to do on an article since joining the journal. Ergo, its also the most time consuming at a point in which I have very littletime available.



The dean approved my schedule today I will be allowed to take one less class than the full load since it is my last semester and only electives remain. I need the extra time to study for the bar exam anyway. Speaking of which, I met a 1L who will be taking the South Carolina bar, too. Small world, but we're taking it over as fast as we can go.