Friday, November 21, 2003

Pick of the Litter



I had another one of those odd encounters with the famous "Regent Philosophy of Love" today. My office hours in the international law journal overlap with a 2L who happens to be a newlywed. An ickey, gooey, "I wuv my widdle snookie--ookie woogie uggums" newlywed. Thou knowest the type. She's also been home schooled and graduated from an unaccredited Christian school in the middle of nowhere that no one has ever heard of. I say all this for the piint of proving she has, at best, a tenuous grip on reality and will probably get chewed up and spit out as a lawyer.



Wait, that wasn't my main point. Okay, I have two cynical observations to make. That was the first.



Anyway, I'm working on an article while she's sitting nearby chatting away on her cell phone. I can't help but here their conversation, as she is practically sitting in my lap. (It's a small office.) She's talking to a male friend who is planning to study in Strasbourg this summer, the same as I did. He does not wish to trave alone, so right there, over the phone, he makes a pitch that he should take one of her four sisters, sight unseen, and adds in what wonderful wicves any of them would make.



Excuse me? These are your sisters, not cocker spaniel puppies. Is this really how the more sheltered Christian girls trhink? Like that Henrietta hen from the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons? Why do these girls consider their self wrth to be so low, marriages need to be prearranged with guys they've never even met? Not only that, who'd let their baby sister trot off to Europe with someone who is practically a stranger? I'm baffled. The longer I stay here, the more scared I get.



In other news, I watched Charlie Chaplin's first sound movie tonight, The great Dictator It was an hilarious satire on Hitler and Nazi Germany. I seem to recall Chaplin stating somewhere that if he had knownn the extent of Nazi brutality, he would not have made this film. i can't remember where he said that, but i am glad he made the movie anyway. It's a classic.