Thursday, June 24, 2010

George Lucas Bans David Prowse from Star Wars Convention

David Prowse, the former body builder and actor who wore the Darth Vader armor in the original Star Wars trilogy, has been banned from August's Star Wars Celebration V because he has allegedly "burnt too many bridges" at LucasFilm:
"It is with regret that I have been informed by my friends at C2 Ventures, Ben and Phillip, that I am not to be invited to C5 this year or any other Lucas Film associated events. After enquiring, the only thing I have been told is that I have 'burnt too many bridges between Lucas Film and myself' - no other reason given...I have also been advised by the promoter of Paris Manga in September that LFL (Lucas Film Limited) have requested no photo opportunities with the 501 Squadron, even though I am commander in chief of the 501"
The "burnt bridges" may refer to an interview Prowse gave recently to an online film magazine I which he not only revealed he gets no residuals from the Star Wars films, but says the reason LucasFilm gave for no residuals is the films have not turned a profit.

Does anyone really believe the original Star Wars trilogy has not earned a minit over the last thirty + years?

Prowse is 76 and in poor health. His most steady source of income is attending conventions at which thousands of fans want to meet him, get an autograph and a photo just because he was Darth Vader. Seriously. What kind of petty jerk is George Lucas? he is not only shunning Prowse and evidently cheating him out of money, he is taking away a big part of the convention experience for fans.

(Via: Geek Times)