Sunday, September 14, 2003

Remembering Admonitions



I went into McDonald's this afternoon. There was a shaky teenage girl behind the counter. This was her first day on the job and I heard her apologize profusely to customer in front of me while telling him she was still in training. When I got to the counter, rang up my order incorrectly, then charged me to much. I mentioned thie price was three dollars too high, and she said, "I know I'm not sure I pressed the right button."



She saw no need to correct this error, and I steamed. I stood there and waited longer as she forgot both my fries and condiments. The guy behind me started snivkering at her, and I made a few comments, too.



After a while she came over to my table, gave me a free apple pie and apologized for messing up my order. I felt like a horse's behind, and apologized for my attitude.



The best way to judge a person is by the way he treats those who are called on to serve him--the waitresses, the cashiers, the janitors. I forgot Christ's admonition that "what you do to the least of these, you do to me." I gave an awfully poor testimony this afternoon, and I am ashamed of myself.